Curatorial Department: Media Arts Curatorial Internship, Fall 2014
A part-time, unpaid internship is available in the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art’s Media Arts Curatorial Department. The internship is 1 day per week. The day of the week and hours are flexible. The Media Arts curatorial intern will work closely with the Assistant Curator and the Administrative Assistant primarily to conduct research on video artworks in the SFMOMA media arts collection.
SFMOMA has been a leader in the presentation, collection, and preservation of media art since the early 1970s. Our Department of Media Arts, established in 1987, was among the first of its kind in the United States. Today our media arts collection and exhibition program encompass the diversity of time-based media installations, including video, film, slide, sound, performance and computer-based works. Reflecting the history of technological and conceptual developments in art, the collection ranges from the 1960s to the present. Works by Bay Area artists are one ongoing focus of our collection and provide a context for understanding the region as a historic center for experimental media. Please note that SFMOMA’s film program in the cinema is primarily organized by the Education department.
Duration of Internship:
September – December, 2014 (specific dates TBD)
This internship will provide an increased knowledge of contemporary art and familiarity with best museum practices for the maintenance and preservation of a time-based media collection. Upon completing the internship, the Media Arts fall curatorial intern will be able to provide assistance and support to curators in the form of art historical research and the administrative tasks involved in exhibition making.
- Independently conduct Library and Internet research, including drafting artist bios and artwork descriptions. This assistance would contribute to a long-term project led by the Media Arts department to generate more content for the online representation and related publications of the time-based media artworks in the collection.
- Assist with production of departmental writing on collection artists and artworks.
- Update and assist with the maintenance of the artist, exhibition, and department archive files.
- Have good communication skills
- Be able to work independently, thoroughly and with attention to detail
- Have a familiarity with contemporary art, interest in media art preferred
- Experience with computer database and word processing software
- Experience with independent library research
- Enrollment in a master’s degree in art history, or related studies, preferred
- Internship application form printed from SFMOMA Web site; DO NOT APPLY ONLINE
- Cover letter detailing how your background/coursework will contribute to this department and what you wish to gain from this internship
- Letters of Recommendation (one personal/professional and one academic) in a confidential, sealed envelope with the recommenders’ signature across the seal
Please send application requirements* detailed above to:
Intern Program Manager
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
151 Third Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
All applications must be postmarked on/before August 22, 2014.
Before applying, please visit the Internships Section of our website at http://www.sfmoma.org/pages/jobs_internships
*Materials must be received in one complete package, with “Media Arts” marked clearly on the envelope.
The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to diversity among its staff.
|Posted:||Aug 1, 2014|
|Closes:||Aug 22, 2014|