|Job Description I nterlochen Center for the Arts, one of America’s most prestigious institutions for arts education, performance and fine arts is seeking to hire an Archivist. The Interlochen Center for the Arts Archives exists to identify, preserve, and make available records, papers, sound recordings, film, photographs and other artifacts of enduring value created or received by ICA and its employees.The archivist’s leadership will ensure that the best practices of preservation and access of the institutional archives will be used. The archive materials will be made available to the ICA and greater community for individual and institutional use.
This position also works closely with other members of the Bonisteel Library in order to provide services as needed to the ICA community which include
- Building meaningful relationships with faculty, staff and students
- Assisting patrons in finding information
- Providing a collection that reflects and anticipates patron’s needs
- Creating a welcoming atmosphere
Major Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Provide direction and responsibility for the archives collection
- Select, process, organize, maintain and preserve the archives collection
- Implement best practices of archival management, including emerging metadata standards and tools, ensuring productive and efficient processes
- Manage the online archives repository which includes the scanning, cataloging and display of materials
- Create and provide finding aids according to national standards, using XML and EAD (Electronic Archival Description), and create original MARC records in accordance with national and local cataloging standards
- Coordinate archives efforts across campus
- Heighten awareness of ICA archival assets with articles and reports for various media outlets
- Work with marketing, advancement and other departments in order to engage the outside community with the archives
- Supervise archives staff, student interns and volunteers in various library and archival tasks
- Create policies and processes for the archives in coordination with other archives staff
- Assist outside researchers and ICA staff in accessing and retrieving items from the collection
- Committed to providing excellent customer service
- Serve as a resource person for the ICA community
- Participate in school wide committee work when applicable
- MLS or equivalent from an ALA-accredited academic program and/or M.A. with an archival concentration.
- Experience with nationally-accepted standards and tools for archival processing and description including DACS, MARC21, EAD, and appropriate thesauri and authority lists used for indexing archival materials
- Experience implementing best practices, principles, and current trends of accepted conservation and preservations methods for archival collections including management of electronic resources and non-textual formats such as photographs, audio and video recordings, oral histories, artifacts and other media
- Knowledge of emerging trends and technologies in the archival field, including EAC-CPF, linked data, etc.
- Experience with creating access tools to archival collections
- Strong organizational skills and outstanding communication skills are essential
- Demonstrated ability to initiate new programs and services and to manage a variety of projects in a complex and dynamic environment
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills; ability to present and share ideas clearly and effectively
- Ability to work independently and effectively with others as a team member
- Experience working in both a library and archive
- Provide reference and circulation duties as needed
- Evening and weekend hours required
- Minimum 2-3 years’ professional experience in archives
- An undergraduate degree in music and/or an arts field is highly desirable
- Grant writing experience is desirable
- Must be able to regularly lift 40 lbs
Additional Information Compensation and Benefits:
A competitive salary and benefits package being offered, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Required documents for application are: cover letter, resume and a current listing of three professional references. Please upload your documents in a pdf format. These documents should be uploaded into your application, under the additional documents section. You can complete the online application by clicking the “I’m interested” green button.
Review of materials will commence immediately and continue until the position has been filled. Materials submitted will be held in strictest confidence, and references will not be contacted without the permission of the applicant.
Materials submitted will be held in strictest confidence.