In order to establish a Chapter, the following required documents must be submitted to the AMIA Office at:
1313 North Vine St., Los Angeles, CA 90028
Tel: 323- 463-1500
The constitution should include: goals and objectives, membership requirements, the duties and terms of Chapter Officers, procedures for electing Chapter Officers (and filling vacancies), and the frequency of meetings.
Current Student Chapter Constitutions:
- UCLA Student Chapter Constitution
- NYU Student Chapter Constitution
- University of Rochester Student Chapter Constitution
- University of Amsterdam Student Chapter Constitution
- UT Austin Student Chapter Constitution
- University of Toronto Student Chapter Constitution
- Simmons College Student Chapter Constitution
- Emerson College Student Chapter Constitution
Name of Advisor
Student Chapters must submit the name of a faculty or staff member who is willing to work with the Chapter.
Chapter Officers and Chapter Members
All Officers and Chapter members must be AMIA members in good standing. It is recommend that each Chapter has a President, Treasurer and Secretary. Some Chapters also have a Vice President, Outreach Coordinator, PR, Communications Officer, and Webmaster, among other positions. While the exact positions can be determined by each group, there must be a structured board to oversee the group.
Registering the Chapter with your School
While not required, it is highly recommended that all Student Chapters also follow their school’s procedures for establishing a student group. Most schools will have a student organization body with instructions for registering and re-registering student groups. This will usually involve submitting paperwork describing your student group and can involve completing your Constitution, participating in a workshop, and submitting the names of an advisor and members. Examples of some of the student organization bodies for current Student Chapters are:
- UCLA Student Organizations, Leadership & Engagement
- NYU Club Life
- University of Rochester Students’ Association
- Students’ Society of McGill University- Clubs and Services
- UT Austin Office of the Dean of Students- Student Activities
- University of Toronto Ulife
- Simmons Student Organizations
New Chapters can request a Mentor Chapter from the AMIA Education Committee. The Committee will connect a new Chapter with an established Chapter to offer advice or assistance during the new Chapter’s first year. The extent of the communication is up to the individual Chapters, but past mentorships have led to exchange visits and event collaborations.
If you’re an existing Chapter and are interested in mentoring new Chapters, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Chapters are bound by AMIA’s Code of Conduct. Membership in each chapter will not be restricted in any way for reasons of race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or ancestry.